Tracking Children’s Progress at Kate Greenaway

 

Why we do it

Our staff team work very closely with all children. Through this engagement we make continuous assessments of what each child shows us they can do and where they need support to develop further. These reflections feed into our planning, and detailed observations are captured and reflected on for each child’s Profile book. Further, we meet with families termly to discuss children’s progress and identify Next Steps for their development together.

We also conduct assessments based on Key persons’ knowledge of each child. This takes place termly, completed by Key persons for their Key children with oversight from the Senior Leadership Team.

The purpose of this tracking is to identify:

  1. any areas in which individual children need additional support or challenge
  2. any areas of the Early Years curriculum which we need to focus on as a staff team
  3. any groups of children (for example those who speak English as an additional language) who might need additional support.

 

Moderation

As a Nursery School we do not have National data sets for comparison with other settings. The first formal tracking of this kind occurs at the end of the Reception year in the form of the Foundation Stage Profile. However, we do moderate our tracking alongside several other local Early Years settings to ensure consistent and accurate assessment of children’s development.

The EExAT tracking system

The Early Years curriculum (a document called Development Matters) was not designed to support the tracking of children’s progress. Development bands are blurred to reflect the naturally uneven rate of children’s progress. Therefore, from September 2016 we have been using a tracking system from Early Excellence, an organisation that specialises in Early Years pedagogy and practice. This system gives greater accuracy to our judgements and also allows us to track children’s levels of well-being and engagement, aspects which are key to children’s learning.

Tracking 2016/17

Baby Nest

Our Under 2’s are tracked in the three Prime curriculum areas of Personal, Social and Emotional Development (PSED), Communication and Language and Physical Development.

In 87% of the Prime curriculum areas children made accelerated progress in Baby Nest, with the other 13% making expected progress.

Groups that we track

Children in receipt of Pupil Premium made 44% accelerated progress and 38% expected progress in 2017/17.

Children with identified Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND) made 49% accelerated progress, 18% expected progress and 33% below expected progress.  NB Sometimes children with SEND can make significant progress that is not captured in the tracking process. Often these steps are significant for the individual and these are planned for, identified and celebrated through their Short Term Plans.

Comparisons of girls and boys progress did not reveal any significant differences in progress made or final outcomes.

Curriculum focus- Problem Solving

As part of our Nursery Development Plan we identify an area of the curriculum to focus on developing over a period of two years. Over the past year our focus has been Problem Solving. This does not equate to a specific area of the Early Years curriculum. However, we have seen significant improvements in our results in Communication and Language and Understanding the World this year, two areas closely linked to the higher order thinking skills that we support through this project.

 

Primary School Leavers Tracking Analysis, Summer 2017

Cohort

  • Cohort comprised of 17 children by the summer term- 9 boys, 8 girls
  • SEND: 3 children with diagnoses of autism, 1 child with significant health challenges
  • 6 Autumn term birthdays
  • 2 Spring term
  • 8 Summer term
  • 9 children eligible for Pupil Premium

 

Conclusions

  • The cohort generally progressed from working below our baseline in the Autumn term to working above it in the Summer term.
  • 76-82% of children were working above our baseline by the summer term. Those children who had not reached this (age-expected) level of development had all been identified as having special educational needs and were in receipt of additional support.
  • In Communication and Language, Physical Development, Understanding the World and Expressive Arts and Design 29% of children were working above age expected levels.

 

Foundation Stage Profile data for children who attended Kate Greenaway*

The below graph represents the Foundation Stage Profile results for children who attended Kate Greenaway, a year after they left the nursery.

The children represented in this graph left Kate Greenaway in Summer 2016 and completed Reception class (and the Foundation Stage Profile) in Summer 2017.

 

*4 children are not included in the data due to significant SEND

 

 

 

To Top